Actually, it does! This herb is native to India and known for its medicinal properties. In Indian traditional medicine, Ayurveda, cardamom is considered as a very useful and effective medicine. It is also used as a spice in Indian cuisine. Cardamom or cardamom is referred as Queen of Spices as well. This herb belongs to the ginger family Zingiberaceae and it is mainly categorized in two types – Elettaria and Amomum. Elettaria is commonly known as green cardamom and used in many cuisines for its strong aroma and flavour. Amomum or black cardamom is larger than green cardamom and an essential ingredient in many South Asian dishes. Important point is that both of these contain significant amounts of medicinal properties and provide many crucial health benefits.
Cardamom is associated with the family of clove and ginger. Just like clove and ginger, cardamom also offers many health benefits. It is an excellent source of manganese and iron. Good amounts of other important minerals such as potassium, calcium and copper can also be found in cardamom. Cardamom pods are rich in vitamins like Vitamin C, niacin and riboflavin. These pods contain many essential volatile oils as well. Last but not the least, cardamom is a good source of antioxidant properties.
Health Benefits of Cardamom:
- Cardamom is an excellent remedy for flatulence as it helps to relieve gas and inhibits the chances of heartburn.
- Cardamom and cardamom essential oil is very good for digestion. They help in the bile production and help to reduce gastric juices.
- Strong aroma of this herb and its stomachic properties make it great mouth freshener. So, it’s a very useful to fight against bad breath.
- It’s a good remedy for oral disorders and very helpful in the treatment of mouth ulcers.
- Cardamom provides health benefits respiration or respiratory disorders. It improves the lung condition and lung circulation.
- Cardamom is very useful in the treatment of cold and cough and diseases like bronchitis as well.
- Anti-inflammatory properties of this herb help to fight against inflammatory diseases and conditions such as sore throats, mouth inflammation and pharynx. It is a helpful herb for asthma as well.
- Any spasmodic condition can be relieved by consuming cardamom. Its anti- spasmodic properties help to treat conditions such as intestinal cramping, convulsions, hiccups and morning sickness. It gives relief from vomiting and nausea too.
- Antioxidant properties of cardamom provide heart health benefits. Antioxidants fight against free radicals and reduce the levels of cholesterol in the blood stream.
- Cardamom is responsible for good heart rate and it controls the blood pressure as well.
- Iron in cardamom helps to form red blood cells.
- Cardamom helps in body’s detoxification process. It helps to eliminate toxins from the body. In Ayurveda, it is used in the treatment of urinary tract disorders and bladder disorders.
- One of the major health benefits of cardamom is that it can give relief from muscle and joint pains.
- It is also an anti-depressant herb and helps in reducing mental stress, depression and anxiety.
- Aphrodisiac properties in cardamom are helpful in the treatment of sexual dysfunction and impotency related problems.
Therefore, you can see cardamom is not only a great spice but also a great food for the health. Its therapeutic properties can give your health a real boost. It can be included in the regular diet to get maximum health benefits.
Caution: Cardamom is considered safe for most people but it should not be consumed in greater amounts. If you are suffering from any particular disease or condition (especially gallstones) – you must consult your doctor before consuming cardamom.
| Related and Recommended|
Health Benefits of Ginger: Ginger Health Remedies
Ginger is perennial herb. It has underground branching stems which are called rhizomes. The cut or bruised ginger leaves and rhizomes have a characteristic odour. This plant soon spread to all tropical countries as living rhizomes of ginger are very easy to transport. Ginger has two available forms - fresh and dried, both of which contain effective food value. Ginger has lots of health benefits due to which it is widely used in medicines....
Read Full Article