Holy basil which is botanically known as Ocimum tenuiflorum or Ocimum sanctum and it is a highly nutritious herb. In India, this herb is known as Tulasi and associated with religion (Hinduism) and mythological beliefs. Although, Basil and Holy Basil are the plants of same genus but they are two different plants altogether. Basil is botanically known as Ocimum Basilicum. The great thing about holy basil is that this herb is full of phytochemicals and conventional nutrients. This is why it’s a part of Indian traditional medicines and Ayurveda for a long time. Holy basil tea is known for its healing capabilities and it is valued as an energizing herbal drink. Holy Basil tea or Tulasi tea is also have a reputation of providing calming or relaxing effect and widely popular as a great remedy for stress. But Holy Basil tea has a lot more health benefits to offer!
First take a quick look at the nutrient profile of Holy Basil. Holy basil is extremely rich in Vitamin K, Vitamin C and Vitamin A. Also, it’s an excellent source of fiber, manganese, magnesium and potassium. Holy Basil leaves contain many important phytonutrients such as estragole, linalool, cineole, eugenol, sabinene, myrcene, and limonene. In addition, Holy Basil contains Ursolic acid and Rosmarinic acid. All of this phytonutrients play major roles for providing different health benefits. The combination of phytochemicals and conventional nutrients is responsible for making Holy Basil such a wonderful health promoting herb.
Holy basil tea can be made like an herbal infusion or it can be made like proper tea. For the herbal infusion, simply put few basil leaves in the hot water and wait for 5-10 minutes for the steeping process. And the Holy Basil tea or infusion is ready to drink. Holy Basil tea can also be prepared like proper tea. You just have to add few leaves of Holy Basil into it. For example, Take a saucepan and put the water on medium heat. Add the crushed ginger, fennel seeds and Holy Basil leaves. Let the water to come to a boil. Now add the tea leaves bring to a boil and then let it simmer for 5 minutes. Add milk and sugar let tea warm again. Strain the tea into a tea pot.
Health Benefits of Holy Basil Tea:
Given below is a list of 21 outstanding health benefits of Holy Basil tea.
- Holy Basil is a rich source of anti-oxidant and it protects heart from free radical damages. Holy Basil tea helps to reduce cholesterol levels and protect heart from dangerous diseases. Drinking Holy Basil tea can reduce the chance of heart attacks.
- Holy Basil tea is also a good remedy for high blood pressure.
- Holy Basil tea strengthens the immune system and makes body stronger to fight against antigens.
- Holy Basil tea is very good for the liver functions and protects from various liver diseases.
- Anti-inflammatory activities of Holy Basil are good for the lungs and respiratory health.
- Anti-inflammatory activities of Holy Basil are also good for arthritis and other inflammatory diseases.
- Anti-bacterial and antiviral properties of Holy Basil tea are helpful in the reduction of the growth of unwanted bacteria. It also helps fight infections.
- Holy basil tea and holy basil extract are good remedies for burns and canker sores.
- Drinking Holy Basil Tea can help to stabilize the blood sugar levels.
- This herbal tea has the ability to improve digestion and it is a good drink for the gastrointestinal tract.
- Holy Basil tea is a stress reliever. It calms down the nerves, relieves stress and promotes the sense of well-being.
- Another health benefit of Holy Basil tea is that it’s a wonderful remedy for cold, fever, cough and flu.
- If you’re trying to lose weight then this tea can help you significantly. Holy basil promotes good metabolism and lowers cortisol levels.
- Holy Basil tea is also known for increasing the stamina level.
- It’s a healthy drink for the eyes as it enhances the eyesight. Holy Basil has the quality to health eye disorders and it’s a good remedy for sore eyes and night-blindness.
- Drinking Hoy Basil tea is good for the brain function and also for improving the strength and endurance power of the body.
- Holy basil and Holy Basil tea both are good for the skin. Holy Basil can remove the skin blemishes such as acne and also make the skin complexion brighter and smoother. It helps in anti-aging process.
- Holy Basil Tea and juice are very good for strengthening the kidney.
- Holy Basil tea can be very good remedy for the headaches.
- The nutrients in Holy Basil tea fight against cancer causing agents and protect from cancer.
- Holy Basil and Holy Basil tea promote joint and bone support as well.
Holy Basil tea is one of the best herbal drinks. It is a caffeine-free tea with so many medicinal properties. Holy Basil is not only a powerful adaptogen but it also contains some other strong healing properties. Drinking Holy Basil tea on a regular basis can boost the overall health significantly.
Caution: During pregnancy and lactation, consult health professionals before taking Holy Basil Tea. Also, avoid drinking Holy Basil tea if you are under anticoagulant medication. In case of any doubt, you must consult with your doctor before going through any herbal therapy.
| || || |
| Related and Recommended|
What is Chamomile Tea?
Just like any other herbal tea, chamomile tea is also considered very good for the health. It has a great taste and it gives a soothing feeling. Many believe that chamomile tea is one of the safest teas for the health. It is good for the people of all ages and safe enough to be given small children. Chamomile tea helps body to fight lots of diseases and conditions. It has been used as natural remedy for thousands of years. This herbal tea or beverage is famous for its anti-inflammatory and anti-spasmodic properties. Most of the therapeutic properties of chamomile come from a compound called Bisabolol, which is an essential oil. Bisabolol is known to contain anti-inflammatory, anti-irritant, anti-microbial and anti-spasmodic properties...
Read Full Article